1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with fan splitting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nosh, Dec 11, 2015.

1. nosh

nosh New Member

Hi. I am currently in the middle of a new build and I need some help/advice with splitting my fan power. I already bought an x-station extension I and modmytoys 3 pin pcbs. I planned on getting a 3 pin male to 4 pin female molex cable since the x-station is male but I am having trouble finding that particular cable. I need to power 12 fans looking for suggestions on my approach is the x-station overkill? Should I just power the pcbs directly off the PS? Create custom cables?

2. nosh

nosh New Member

I forgot to mention I am a newb don't laugh I didn't know that you cannot control fans that are connected to the power supply. Eventually I want to go with an aquaero 6 but it is not in the budget right now and I cant justify buying a fan controller I will end up replacing. I am using a rampage v extreme so the included OC panel will do for now. I will just connect the 3 splitter pcbs to the case fan headers on the board and ill use the cpu pwm header for the 655 pump.

3. daniel

daniel Administrator Staff Member

You wont be able to connect the split fans to the motherboard because it wont be capable of powering that many fans. It wont damage the board because it has protection for this but most fans just wont run or they will run at low RPM. Until you get your Aquaero 6 I suggest using Modmytoys plitters like this one: http://www.performance-pcs.com/modmytoys-4-pin-power-distribution-pcb-8-way-block.html With a couple of these you will be able to run all of your fans off the PSU. There are ways of powering PWM fans direct from the PSU and connecting them to the motherboard to control them. Ill find a product that can do this and get back to you no time right now.

4. nosh

nosh New Member

Thanks for the info glad I saw this before proceeding! Unfortunately I found last night that I did not buy PWM sp120's or af'120's! I am not sure if I want to remove them all and return them to newegg or just replace them when I decide to get an aquaero. I did however get PWM splitter pcb's so at least I don't need to replace those. I am a little preoccupied trying to figure out what bitspower fittings I need to order so ill probably end up dealing with what I  have.

5. nosh

nosh New Member

BTW Daniel thank you for doing what you do.  I have learned a lot from your videos I appreciate the time and effort you put into explaining all aspects of your builds and how passionate you are about your work.

This is my first water cooling build its a bit nerve racking dropping a lot of money on something I have little experience with but I am trying to take my time and get things right. My build configuration will end up being similar to build log 10 except only one loop for now. Its night and day going from a cmstacker 830 to a TH10A the quality and options are second to none.

6. daniel

daniel Administrator Staff Member

Stick with your 3 pin fans thats OK I normally dont use PWM. 3 pin will work just fine with the Aquaero 6 you will be able to setup fans curves anything you want. There are still a lot of things you can do with the current setup. I suggest using the splitters and just connecting them directly to the PSU. If the fans are too loud you can drop them down to 7V or 5V by changing the wiring on the molex cable coming from the PSU. Google this its just a matter of swapping a couple of the four wires around. This will do fine as a temp setup. I find fan control is a novelty at first but it soon wears off eventually you just want to leave it and use the system. This is where the Aquaero is great because with fan curves its fully automated fan control. Yep the TH10A and any Caselabs case is awesome quality is unmatched. No problems glad I could help you out.