1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiator-fan setup

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Marat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Marat

Marat New Member

Hi I've just built a watercooled rig (upgraded the old rig) out of rather oldish parts
    Asus P6T (Lga1366)
    Xeon x5680 (OC to 4,2-4,4 gHz)
    GTX 980ti
    12Gb of Corsair Dominator
    Thermaltake F31 Suppressor TG
    For watercooling gear I installed:
    EK Supremacy EVO for CPU
    EK FC Titan X acetal waterblock for GTX980ti
    EK D5 Pump-res combo (connected to CPU fan header for the PWM signal)
    2x360 HardwareLabs BlackIce Nemesis GTS rads (installed in the front and top of the case)
    6x120 BeQuiet! Silent wings3 fans, connected to Aquacomputer PowerAdjust2 ultra
    Here is a picture of the rebuilt rig
    [​IMG]
    Under load both GPU (heaven benchmark) and CPU (AIDA64) the coolant tempreture stays at around 42C with fans runing at around 1000RPM (ambient temp is around 27-28C)
    The question is:
    How should I setup the fans on the top radiator and at the rear of the case as an intake or as exhaust?
    Also it looks that PSU fan control is based on load not the temp. The PSU fan is getting very loud at load. I've changed the PSU fan to Thermaltake Riing 14 (it came with the case) it helped at idle but it is still a bit too loud at load. Any advise on good PSU fan or very quiet PSU

2. freeq

freeq Administrator Staff Member

Hello!

For the fan setup you could either:
    • Setup the front radiator fans as the single intake and all other fans as exhaust
    or
    • Do the same, but move the single rear exhaust fan to the bottom of the case, right next to the PSU, mounted as intake. That would result in a more balanced air pressure inside the case(3x 120mm fans intake, 3x 120mm fans exhaust), and imho looks cleaner. The will be a more than sufficient airflow anyways.
    For the PSU, I'm surprised that the noise level under load is disturbing with both fans. I didn't come across loud PSU's for a long time, even under heavy load. So there will be plenty of alternatives with a lower noise level.
    I would probably try out a more quiet fan before replacing the PSU though.

Regards

3. Marat

Marat New Member

The PSU is 10!!! years old and it is still running:)
    Thanks for advice