1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psu cable modding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grimcrash, May 18, 2016.

1. grimcrash

grimcrash New Member

Hi guys! I have a Fsp 700w power supply which is not modular. I don't plan to buy a new one anytime soon but it has those ugly 8+6 pcie cables (see first picture) so I want to mod it a little. Is it possible to remove the "extra" 6pin cable and then sleeve the 8pin individually? (I want it to look like the one in the second picture) Do I have to solder it or can I do it with a simple pin removal tool? [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Enderman

Enderman New Member

As long as you cut the wires close to the 8 pin connector (so that they dont touch) yes you can remove the 6 pin.

And you should be able to sleeve the 8 pin cable without doing any soldering. Just remove the pin sleeve it add some heatshrink and put it back in.

It is recommended you do only 1 cable at a time to prevent mixing them up and killing your GPU.

Also I would recommend replacing that power supply when you have some money just for safety. Having a dead PC and a housefire isn't worth saving $100 on a PSU.