1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My custom windows desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Enderman, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Enderman

Enderman New Member

So I just wanted to show you guys what my desktop looks like :)
    I'm not a Rainmeter pro but I've been learning stuff...

You can see how clean and minimalist the desktop is while still having quick access to information/applications.
    [​IMG]

On mouse hover each of the 8 categories shows a set of 2-6 program shortcuts all colour coded. Sort of like an ObjectDock.
    [​IMG]

What looks like dashes at the bottom of the screen is actually a sound bar visualizer that reacts to all sounds played from the PC.
    [​IMG]

The software used to create this is:
    -Custom windows theme
    -Universal Theme Patcher
    -Custom windows cursor
    -Custom icon packs
    -Rainmeter
    -My custom coded rainmeter skin

The skin I made contains the object docks CPU/RAM meter volume display email notifiers and the sound visualizer.
    Most of it was coded by me :) But its also inconvenient to change/add shortcuts to the skin.
    If people are interested I can give the download link or the links to the other pieces of software used.

Let me know what you think! :D

2. DonKikosi

DonKikosi New Member

Well this looks nice

Although i am not a fan of black backgrounds i have to admit it looks clean and tidy.
    Especially the sound bar visualizer is cool nice feature if you like listening to music.

One question:
    How is the performance compared to a "normal" desktop. I could imagine it might be a bit slower
    especially on a low end pc.

3. Enderman

Enderman New Member

Thanks!
    Rainmeter uses about 0-2% of my CPU and I have a 4790k
    What really uses CPU is the custom fade in/ fade out effects I have on the icons that uses like 10% and will definitely lag on a slow PC
    But other than that its really well optimized and fast

Also I have to use a black background because otherwise my 55" tv blinds me with light xD

4. _lecro_

_lecro_ New Member

Looks good. I don't see customized Windows systems often, at least not to this extent.

I have a minimalist Linux environment on my Thinkpad though: