1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom modem/router build (pfSense), low-TDP Xeon CPU, ECC-memory, PCIe V-DSL2 modem

Discussion in 'Build Log' started by freeq, Dec 30, 2017.

1. freeq

freeq Administrator Staff Member

Hey everyone!

I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a more powerful router and wanted to share it with you. It will be installed in my 19" rack, although I won't use a 19" case.
    For now, I just installed the components on an old removeable motherboard tray, which I had lying around. As soon as the case arrives, I'll post pictures of the whole process. On my old router I have used Gentoo linux. This time, I will use pfSense as the operating system, which is a feature rich OpenBSD-based firewall/routing solution.

It will run on these components:
    It will provide basic routing as well as OpenVPN connections, advanced (DNS-)filtering, intrusion detection and QoS. The hardware is pretty much overkill, but I don't mind the little extra power draw compared to the previous system. Some day in the future my link speed will increase, and I won't run into any limitations performance-wise any time soon.

I'll keep you updated.

justindk likes this.
  2. freeq

freeq Administrator Staff Member

I'm happy with the results so far, but I'm still missing the case and the PSU. Both should arrive in the next few days.

In the meantime, here's a screenshot of the pfSense dashboard.

Screenshot (30).png