1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on making my own waterblocks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TinkerTayler, Dec 1, 2016.

1. TinkerTayler

TinkerTayler New Member

Hi everyone.
    I recently bought my first decent gaming pc and really want to do a custom watercooling loop in it. Thinking of manufacturing my own waterblocks (partly to save money partly because I want to) but as copper is so expensive I'm wondering if I can use aluminium instead. I know you're not meant to mix metals and it could enable galvanic corrosion but I'm wondering whether annodising the aluminium would prevent this.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Would it stop the corrosion would it still cool the system anyone have any tips for annodising if so?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this I will attach a render of the my design bellow (theres a middle and top bit but you get the idea probably). Cheers

[attachment file=27665]

2. daniel

daniel Administrator Staff Member

Hey. If you can get access to a CNC Router or CNC machine really cheap then this is possible. If you go into the average machine shop they will charge you a fortune to do this. If you take up their machines time for 30 minutes it costs the price of x10 water-blocks. I have spent so much time trying to get custom parts machined. Finally I have my own CNC Router and CNC Machine so I can do it in house. You cannot use aluminium. Even with coatings its unreliable and will lead to galvanic corrosion. It has to be copper. Cheers.